Tuesday 19 August 2014

A Golden Bedroom: The Bedroom to Eldorado!!

As I'm sure I've said before, my autistic son has a fascination with GOLD so, when it came to redecorating his bedroom this summer holiday, you can guess what colour he chose.

 Apparently, you can't have too much of a good thing: walls, ceiling, door, picture rail, skirting board and curtains...



The carpet stayed, despite appeals for gold...


And the hook on the back of the door is perfect for the golden cowboy hat!


I staple gunned gold shiny fabric along the side of the bed as a valance (I want to write the word pronounced lar-mey but the computer won't let me type a french accent over the e so it just says 'lame'!!!).




The crowning glory came with the finding of 'golden' fabric (deep yellow cotton) in the lovely fabric shop in Camberley, with which to make a duvet cover and pillow case. We had hunted high, low and fruitlessly for a yellow cover and pillowcase so this was a great relief (see http://www.threademporium.co.uk).

The lady serving us was so kind she even gave my son some elasticated gold thread which I made into tassels, one for each corner of the cover.
Here is the result...



and in situ...



I added gold buttons to fasten the opening of the duvet, naturally.



The overall effect (as they say in Curious George:"That's a lot of yellow for one man!").



But I suppose as a teenager it could have been worse... It could have been totally black!



He's VERY happy! Only the golden mirror and notice board to put up now, then we may never have to decorate it again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment