Monday 28 December 2015

Christmas Skull

Husband has had a penchant for collecting model skulls for the last year or so. It started as part of a Vanitas Project he fancied... fashionable many years ago, considering ones own mortality. There are lots of examples on Google images if you want to see some - ancient and modern.

From that has come a collection of weird and wonderful skulls so I set out to find one as a present. This is the only one I could find and. although I liked its design, the shiny metallic colouring was a bit too biker for me.


So I painted it white to begin with, using a chalk-based paint so it was not too glossy for more paint to be added on top. The surface can still be scratched through unfortunately but its not likely to get much 'use' - more ornament!


Then I added colour to the already embossed detailing, using acrylics. I majored in orange as that is a fave colour for a gingerous man!


A big coppery flower on the top of the head


And a bit of vegetation round the side.


I liked it and, if it gets to take its place among the others on a future occasion, I'll post a picture of them altogether.


Merry Skull Christmas and a Crafty New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment