Thursday 11 December 2014

How to Make a Scarf out of Old Socks!

Yes you heard me... OLD SOCKS!

My husband is a great fan of cartoon socks and always asks for them for birthdays and Christmases, wearing them till they are holey in toe or heel.


He is sad at the idea of throwing away old favourites and, seeing as the leg part is intact and not really worn at all, here's what I did for one of this year's birthday presents.

1. Cut leg part from foot part and cut open to form a flat piece of fabric. Discard foot part entirely!


2. Repeat several times until you have a lovely pile of sock-tops.



3. Pin them together, making sure you change direction halfway along, otherwise one side of the scarf will hang with all its pictures upside-down.



4. Sew each section to the the next and continue until it is the desired length. I matched mine against an existing single layer scarf I intended to sew it to.

5. With right sides together, pin then sew the sock scarf to the existing scarf along one side, then repeat with the other. Seeing as socks are stretchy and unpredictable, adjustments may have to be made at the pinning or sewing stage stage to take account of this. My background scarf was wider than my sock scarf but this was no problem and gave a nice border to the eventual item.

6. Turn the scarf the right way out and sew the ends. I machine sewed cos it was late into the night on the day before his birthday and I wanted to finish and sleep, but you might choose to hand sew the ends across. My scarf has tassels but its a lot easier without.







Result: One happy bunny of a husband... and I still have the other matching sock tops to go... so watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment