Sunday 27 April 2014

Configuration Box

Last week I bought a Tim Holtz configuration box. I'd seen them on TV but not in the shops and was surprised and pleased to find it was within my price range (you never know with his stuff - quality but not cheap). 
A configuration box is a box with lots of little boxes in that you can arrange different ways, to "really make it your own" as they say on TV singing shows. Previously I've made my own from scratch and it felt odd and daunting to be using someone else's.


It comes with a suggestion sheet to help, or you can treat it like a puzzle and try your own.


Well, nothing I tried felt like it was mine until I decided to cut three quarters of the bottoms out of some of the boxes and put them in upside down so they opened like little doors.



A bit scruffy looking but definitely mine now! I used tissue paper and watered down PVA glue to smooth the cut edges,


and then painted them and the outside box a woody-brown and then varnished them.



Then I lined the backs of the boxes I had not cut (to match the others), added brass split-pin handles and glued them all in place to be filled with treasures.


Its a little higgledy piggledy but I like the way it keeps most of it's treasures secret until you open the doors. I have yet to find something suitable for the larger box, but I might put stairs in it and a tiny library of books (the boxes are not very deep so that dictates contents somewhat).
 The lovely blue pocket watch thing in the corner is, in fact, a large blue glass drop with a stamped image behind and leaded edges. My sister and her husband have just started making them and they're beautiful! I bought 2 as soon as I saw them!!!

Sorry I can't show you in all the doors but it's hard to hold them open and photograph them. If you ever come round in person, you can play. If not, you can just imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment