Tuesday 26 November 2013

A Nice Warm Fire

Yesterday I had one of those mad clear-up times where, not only do you move furniture that you usually hoover round, but you clean out the grate, build a fire and wait for most of the family to be gathered together before lighting it. The first fire of the wintery season so I thought I'd share it with you.


And no I didn't alter the colours, that is the weirdness that came out when I took the picture (although wrapping paper is fascinating to burn as the inks glow all sorts of odd colours... in the olden days before Mars bars were put in plastic wrappers the paper ones used to burn bright green!).

It had a layer of coal at the base, then kindling and logs on top. That meant that by the time my husband was home and able to settle down with us, the wood had burnt but the coals were so hot that a new log caught very quickly and perked it up all over again and everything smelt slightly smoky bacon-ish. I LOVE that smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment