Thursday 25 July 2013

3D Beach

My neice loves the beach (especially the Isle of Wight) so when it came to her birthday...deep in the depths of winter... I made her a beach card.

The pictures came from a photo sheet intended for decoupage (where you cut out parts of an identical image and lay them on top of each other, slightly raised with sticky pads or dots), but I based it on a a souvenir card of Crystal Palace that always fascinated me in our local museum when I was a child.

  The sides of it are made from concertina-ed card and then the layers of image are glued to each of the zig-zags in turn, with the furthest image at the back and the closest at the front.


  I added a metal boat charm at the back and some shells and stones near the front. The larger pieces of card at the front, each with a half circle cut out, mean that when they are closed (like doors) you can look through a peephole and see the scene close up in 3D.


When finished, the card still folds flat to fit in an envelope and pops out again when taken out.
It's a design I later repeated with family photographs...with the smaller images of people at the back and the larger ones at the front. That way you can have a 3D box of as many people you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment