Wednesday 17 August 2016

Making the Marauder's Map

This is surprisingly easy once I gave up on the ridikulus idea of drawing it out myself!


If you type into google images the words free printable marauders map' you get quite a lot of options. I copy and pasted one (in 5 parts) onto a word document and saved it: thank you http://littlefallingstar.deviantart.com/art/The-Marauders-Map-389921556 The one I chose also had the instructions on how to fit all the extra unfolding bits together on it, very necessary.


I had bought some goat's skin parchment (not real of course but a large sheet called that in the art shop) and cut it into A4 pieces which fitted through the ordinary printer as long as I added them one sheet at a time. It had a lovely crackly, old-map sound and feel when assembled.

My first trial attempt was on ordinary printer paper, as the map prints in an olde paper colour anyway but when I tried to stain it, the ink bled and went weird colours.


I also printed out a Hogwarts envelope to put it in and used sealing wax to fake seal a flap (with velcro underneath so it could be reopened and resealed at will).


Very good fun and a lovely present for a Potterite, along with a copy of the letter sent to first years to tell them what they need to buy from Diagon Alley


Next time: Potion bottles!

No comments:

Post a Comment