Saturday 26 September 2015

Harvest

It shows how infrequent my posts are at the moment, that I can go from early stages of the veg patch to harvest in just 4 posts. Sorry. Will try harder to  post more. There are loads of pics I have to share with you,,, just work is eating up my life and the need for sleep claims the rest!

Anyway... the veg patch did its level best and here are some of the results:


 Potatoes were planted in an old plastic dustbin (seeing as they are unwanted now that we have wheelie bins). It's very useful 'cos you can fill it halfway and plant, then put the lid back on to keep them in the dark while they sprout. After that, just keep topping up with soil as the plants grow, until you reach near the top of the bin, then leave them to grow out. The bin holds water nicely (with drainage holes in the bottom), and when harvest time comes, just tip the plant and soil out onto a plastic sheet - no need to dig!


I bought 3 different tomato plants and these looked like love hearts... cute but not much on the flavour front.


As for the rest, it included runner beans, yellow courgettes, a surprise cucumber (that I bought in the green courgette section of the garden centre), many tomatoes, blueberries and blackberries (which are allowed to grow in a side area of the patch as long as they submit to being heavily pruned to prevent them becoming a mono-crop!!!).

My other main crop this year was sunflowers and I'll feature those next time. My husband went all Van Gough on them, so I'll see if I can get hold of one of his artworks too.

No comments:

Post a Comment