Monday 12 August 2013

Driftwood Boats

That is what I made out of the bits and pieces I showed you yesterday....boats and ships of different shapes and sizes.

.
 You can see the scale of the boats by the size of my fingers holding tight to them while the early morning sea breeze tries to blow them away.
 I would put them on the breakwater at Colwell Bay and just as I focussed the camera to get the shot, the wind would whip them off into the wet sand below and I'd start all over again. In the end I gave up and held the ones that wouldn't stay.



The sails on this larger ship were found on a beach at Bembridge near the lifeboat station. When I looked up beaches on the internet before going away, it said that was a good place for beachcombing, and so it was. I washed the fabric and dried it, then tore it in half to use.


 The ones with the old leathery sails are definitely my favourites and I brought back a big bag of driftwood to carry on making at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment