Tuesday 14 March 2017

Henry Moore- I didn't know that's how he did it!

All I really knew about Henry Moore is that his sculptures are huge, flowing, made of various materials and often have holes.

Woking's Lightbox has a Henry Moore exhibition on at the moment so I went with my husband, who was very keen to see it.


I discovered that some of his statues are tiny - like this one at only about 6 inches long,


That some are based on found objects like this bird's skull that reminded him of the torso of a figure


and that sometimes he collected interesting bits of stone and combined them together, like these, to make the inspiration for his flowing figures.


He also drew a lot to study form and proportion


So, although I wasn't particularly interested before I went, I found it fascinating when I was there.

And have you seen the elephant skull he owned? It'll be in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment